Eating for a Healthy Heart
Try these simple guidelines when preparing heart-healthy meals:
- Control portion sizes using a smaller plate or bowl.
- Eat at least 4.5 cups of fruits and vegetables a day, including a variety of dark-green, red, and orange vegetables, beans and peas.
- Eat seafood (including oily fish) in place of some meat and poultry.
- Eat whole grains—the equivalent of at least three, 1-ounce servings a day.
- Use oils to replace solid fats.
- Use fat-free or low-fat versions of dairy products.